200 gms Whole Udad Dal
50 gms Rajma
50 gms Chana Dal
1 medium sized finely chopped Onion
2 medium sized finely chopped Tomatoes
Ginger Garlic paste
2 finely chopped green chilies
Half inch finely chopped ginger
Finely chopped coriander
Half cup skimmed milk
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Red chili powder
1. Soak Whole Udad Dal, Rajma and Chana Dal overnight.
2. Pressure cook soaked Udad Dal, Rajma and Chana Dal with the finely chopped ginger and little salt for 5 minutes or two whistles. (Water: 1.5 times the quantity of dal)
3. In a pan fry onions in 1 teaspoon cooking oil. Once the Onions turn golden brown add the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start releasing oil add the masala. Sauté till it releases flavour. Then add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for some time.
4. Once the masala is cooked add the cooked dal and bring to boil.
5. Now mix the Half cup skimmed milk and bring to boil.
6. Garnish with coriander and serve with Basmati rice and raita.
Variations for not so health conscious people:
1. If you are not so health conscious and want to indulge use butter/ghee for frying the masala.
2. You could also replace fresh cream with skimmed milk.